Apart from a sizable supermarket, post office, chemist, restaurants and pubs, there is also a fire station and a Garda station, suggesting the importance of Castlegregory in the area.
Historically Castlegregory is named after a castle built here in 1550 by Gregory Hoare. Although the castle has long gone having been destroyed by Cromwell's troops the town continues to bear the name. For those with an appreciation of art, the local church houses a fine Harry Clarke stained glass window.
There is an ATM available to take out cash inside the Spar supermarket. Access to the Internet is also available in the town at the tourist office.